Man attacked in West Aspect capturing, paralyzed lady »Albuquerque Journal

Izeria Armstead (Courtesy of the family)

Copyright © 2021 Albuquerque Journal

Izeria Armstead knew something was wrong when she tried to get off the floor and couldn’t feel her legs.

The doctors confirmed their fears in the hospital: A bullet had hit her spinal cord. She was paralyzed from the waist down.

………………………………………….. …………..

“It tore me down very much. I didn’t know how to react because I will never go again … to this day I try … to accept it, “said the 18-year-old high school graduate.

The incident was one of 89 shootings that resulted in injuries between January 1 and April 20, according to the Albuquerque Police Department. In the same period last year there were 65.

Eighteen-year-old Joseph Zamora is charged with a deadly, heavy-battery gun and fired from a motor vehicle in the March 14 incident that flared up during a house party on Albuquerque’s West Side.

Armstead said it started when “things went sideways” between some of her friends at the meeting. Then the guns came out – something she said often happens when tensions build up at gatherings.

Joseph Zamora (MDC)

Armstead said a man with a gun tried to drag her friend Zamora – someone she had known since middle school – out of a vehicle.

“I just wasn’t afraid of anything right now and wanted to help him,” she said. “Because I was always against guns … I wanted to stop what was going on and prevent anyone from getting shot.”

But after pulling the gunman off Zamora, Armstead said she was shot in the back. Police say Zamora fired these shots before she escaped.

According to court records, police responded to reports of gunfire and people running out of a house on the 4800 block of Petra Pointe NW near Unser and Western Trail around 1:30 a.m. Officers found several shell casings in the street and Armstead, who had been shot in the torso and foot, on the ground.

A witness told police that when Armstead pulled the gunman from Zamora, he (Zamora) pulled a pistol from his waist and shot the two of them several times. Police say the Armstead man pulled Zamora and then returned fire.

Police found the gun used in the shooting in a shoebox at Zamora’s friend who had been told to “get rid of” it.

Zamora told police he went to the party but left before the shooting took place. When Zamora learned that there was a cell phone video of him at home prior to the shooting, he said he no longer wanted to talk and asked the police to leave his home.

Armstead said she spent three weeks in the hospital calling it “the worst experience ever”.

“I hated being there. I just wanted to go home… ”she said. “In the hospital I would scream, cry, just hit things… I would have really bad days. I would just cry and cry and cry until I felt okay. “

Despite the ordeal, Armstead said she managed to finish her senior year at Volcano Vista with A’s and B’s across the board. Her last day of school was on Thursday and she’s looking forward to graduation, albeit a little nervous, of seeing her classmates for the first time since the incident.

Armstead said she tries to stay positive and be happy – and grateful.

“Don’t take life for granted … because anything could happen to you. For people going through things like this – be strong and always think of the positive things that you can still do, ”she said. “I keep thinking that I’m still here and still alive.”

Comments are closed.